Monday, November 28, 2011

Post Fourteen: Zips Don't Lie

Remember the skirt I draped that I was talking about the last time I blogged (if not, it's no big deal; just scroll down a ways and you'll be promptly reminded)?  Well, it turns out that there needs to be some sort of functioning closure (something I only ever half considered in my designs).  Ipso facto, my 3D classmates and I were treated to a demo on how to sew an invisible zipper.  There were many steps and I took copious notes.  Usually, when there's a demo in class, I understand what's happening, but have the utmost difficulty in applying the procedure within the comforts of my own home.  Perhaps it's my nerves, but whatever the cause, I took extra care with my notes this week.  

Observe: 


Needless to say, I am not as experienced a sewer as my 3D teacher; imagine the level of intimidation I felt upon seeing her invisible zipper (which, if you ask me, looked more like a normal seam from the front) and wondering how on earth I could make one even remotely similar.  I was in awe of how well she made it.  Granted, there were issues with the tension on the machine she was using, but her process seemed effortless and the product was fabuloso.  

Observe: 


Realizing that I couldn't let my fear paralyze me, I got down to business.  I cut and ironed my muslin and zipper, marked out all my sew lines, and followed every instruction as I had written it.  It wound up not being as hard as I thought it was going to be.  Overall, I'd say it was a very straightforward process. Even so, I felt ridiculously satisfied when I reached the end product.  

Observe it: 


I realize that this is far from perfect.  I also realize that my being able to sew a sample invisible zipper does not make me a master seamstress.  However, it makes me feel like a rock star.  I have a new-found love for invisible zippers, and can't fight the urge to put them into all of my designs.  I have yet to learn how to sew in centered and lapped zippers, but something tells me I'll be obsessed with those as well.  I've always liked zippers (Schiaparelli style), but now that I more thoroughly understand them, I can appreciate them, or at the very least accurately value them.  


Look!  My zipper actually opens!  If that isn't the coolest thing ever, then I don't know what is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment