Sunday, November 13, 2011

Post Twelve: The Timelessness of the Fashionista

When you think of grandmas (specifically, ones who go by 'Grammy,' or 'Grams,' for short), what images come to mind?  For my Grammy, the images include rice balls, playing cards, and polo shirts.  
For every styling-related urge I had throughout my childhood, Grammy as my canvas; whenever I wanted to play with someone's hair, it was hers.  Whenever I wanted to put make-up on someone's face, it was hers.  
To my pure delight, Grams and I went to Saks Off Fifth.  If you knew Grams, you could imagine the amount of complaints she had while I styled her with the various designer accessories we found.  But, unfortunately for you, you don't know Grams.  So you don't know how she went on and on about how "stupid" I was making her look.  I'll have you know that by the end of our style sesh, she was picking out accessories herself -- and even combining them.  As much as she may have pretended to hate the whole experience, she and I both know that that was not the case; she was in hysterics the entire time.  She's been a little stressed lately (without going into too much detail, she just sold her house and is in the process of moving), so making her laugh is currently one of my favorite things to do.  You might think that it's a cheap connection to fashion, but I loved finding a way to merge making Grams laugh and designer fashion accessories.  She is one of the most interesting personalities I've ever met, and I love making her happy.  One of the things I want most out of my career in fashion design is to make people that happy.  You don't know true happiness until you've made a seventy-one-year-old laugh hysterically in the middle of a Saks Off Fifth.  
Perhaps what I found most inspiring about the entire experience was the fact that Grams, whose wardrobe consists of polo shirts that don't come from Ralph Lauren, was modeling.  Every time I told her to strike a pose, she did, as if she were on the runway.  I found that very interesting -- how jovially casual she was, and how that compares to runway dramatics.  It reminded me of the Lanvin 2011 ad campaign.  To me, both that and Grams's photo shoot are fashionably fun, and all I need to smile.  


$350 sunglasses?  No match for this fashionista.  Did you know she can blow bubbles with any kind of gum?  Observe the polo shirts.  You can't tell, but she's loving this.  Obviously, so am I.  Any time I can combine my two favorite things, fashion and family, I am set.  


Grams is well aware of the oncoming trends.  Here, she models a colored fur hat.  It's rabbit, in case you were wondering.  


Here's the 2011-2012 Lanvin ad.  It was shown to me a couple of weeks ago in my Integrated Studio class, and I can't get over it.  While I respect, recognize, and observe the earnestness of fashion, I feel that there is absolutely a place for clever movements such as this.  


Oh, and one more thing!  Grammy granted me permission to use blog these photos only under the condition that I show a photo of how she really looks.  So, everyone, here she is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment